The second generation of AIR single-handed rods uncompromisingly continues the success of its predecessor and impressively represents over 90 years of Winston tradition.
Winstin AIR 2 fly rods can do (almost) anything: present tiny dry flies to shy Trout in shallow water, cast a heavy streamer to the far shore in windy conditions, deploy all the line in a stable loop, and make fast, accurate casts at close range. Whether you're nymph fishing, shore fishing from a boat or wade fishing, the new AIR 2 cuts a classy figure. If you need to choose a rod that can handle (almost) all eventualities on the fishing water, the Boron AIR 2 is the ideal choice for you.
The innovations compared to the first AIR models, designed for freshwater fishing for Trout, Grayling and Co. can be seen in our opinion! Among the improvements are:
- A new taper design that offers a faster, progressive all-around action. Extremely lightweight yet powerful!
- Introduction of S-2000, a next generation high modulus graphite material for faster recovery speed and smoothness.
- New Boron configuration for improved power and energy transfer.
- New Winston design cigar grip for even more feel when casting.
- Custom High Strain Rate (HSR) resin provides even faster reset speed that delivers a modern feel, is more durable, and offers greater strength at a lighter weight.
- The new Light Wire Shooting Snake Guides feature a smaller profile with new ECO-Slick coating and Round Helix geometry that reduces line friction for increased energy, accuracy and distance management.
Like the AIR 1, the AIR 2 impresses with a very low physical weight and with a very low 'swing weight' on the first cast. You immediately notice that these rods were lovingly handcrafted for fishing and not just for casting on the green. Because the sensitive blank already charges optimally at short distances and you don't need a distance miracle to experience the high recovery speed of the AIR 2 and the smooth flow of energy into the flying line. Over all casting distances you get a complete and immediate feedback of the blank, which ultimately results in a pinpoint and sensitive presentation. And that's what it often comes down to in practice! In direct comparison with its predecessor, the action has become somewhat faster and more crisp, which we personally like very much.
The workmanship of the AIR 2 is - as usual from Winston - beyond reproach. Each model features a beautiful cigar handle with cork of the very best quality. Upocking reel seat made of nickel silver and spacers made of burl wood perfectly match the noble finish of the slim blank in Winston green. We like the new, slightly smaller rings even better visually. As usual, each AIR 2 is delivered in a handmade fabric case and a high-quality carbon fiber rod tube.
We look forward to many hours on the water with the revised AIR rod series and can warmly recommend it to the most demanding fly fishermen. A piece of rod building art of the extra class!
- Medium to fast progressive action
- New taper design (slightly faster than previous models)
- New high modulus graphite material (S2000)
- New HSR resin (High Strain Rate)
- Faster recovery speed than the predecessor
- Light wire Shooting Snake Guides
- Light wire hard chrome ECO slick coating on the rings
- Nickel silver upocking reel seat with burled wood insert
- Premium cork cigar grip
- Supplied in premium graphite rod tube with logo rod sock
- Handmade in Twin Bridges/Montana (USA)
|AIR 863-4||3||8,6 ft (2,62 m)||Zigarrengriff||4|
|AIR 903-4||3||9 ft (2,74 m)||Zigarrengriff||4|
|AIR 864-4||4||8,6 ft (2,62 m)||Zigarrengriff||4|
|AIR 904-4||4||9 ft (2,74 m)||Zigarrengriff||4|
|AIR 905-4||5||9 ft (2,74 m)||Zigarrengriff||4|
|AIR 906-4||6||9 ft (2,74 m)||Zigarrengriff||4|