KISS – keep it simple & stupid! The developers of the Shilton fly reels from South Africa continue to rely on the simplest technology and natural materials for their bear-strong brake. We introduce you to the new, powerful aluminum reels individually and reveal what makes the reels so special.
Shilton products have been on the market for over two decades! During this time, the thoughtful reels have not only enriched the experiences of many anglers on the water and given them confidence during their adventures, they have also been constantly improved over the years. The origin of these reels: South Africa. A diverse country where fine trout fishing is just a stone's throw away from action-packed saltwater fishing. In between: Bass, Yellowfish, Tigerfish and Co. And as diverse as their origin is the range of applications for these reels. Whether small trout or giant GT, one thing in particular is important to the manufacturer when it comes to their fly reels: reliable performance, no matter what. The company's credo: "We Stop Fish" - and Shilton has also set this goal for the very fastest and most combative fish of these seas. It's not without reason that some of the most prestigious saltwater lodges rely on the uncompromising performance of Shilton reels.
All models in the overview:
From fine stream fishing for grayling to the powerful saltwater behemoths of the seas. The field of application of Shilton fly reels is as wide as their fame.
- Shilton SR The Shilton SR, with its large-arbor design and extremely strong cork brake system is the ultimate workhorse for fighting fish in fresh, but especially in saltwater. The Shilton SR features the largest cork disc among Shilton reels, generating even more reliable and increased braking power. Whether GT, Aprapaima or Tarpon, the Shilton SR is designed exactly for these fish. With its ultra-strong brake and fast line pull, the SR is one of the best saltwater fly reels on the market and always provides faithful service, to the end of the world.
- Shilton SL The SL fly reel has Shilton to thank for their breakthrough and has already become a household name over 20 years ago, especially among saltwater anglers. The strong cork brake and the low-maintenance design without many frills make this reel indestructible. Maximum line capacity and fast retrieve speed meet in the SL. Just right for the fast predators on the flats or in the jungle.
- Shilton CL The CL was Shilton's first reel series, which was launched back in 2002 as part of Shilton's "Classic Range". The classic look in mid-arbor design can be combined wonderfully with many single-handed rods and offers a high line capacity thanks to the slightly smaller spool core. The strong, fine carbon drag starts buttery smooth, but also brings the fish to a stop when needed. Especially in fine fishing for trout, grayling and other freshwater fish, the CL is the perfect partner, as the ingenious brake compensates for the escapes and strikes of the fish before the leader breaks.
- Shilton CK The popular Shilton CK fly reel ranks right between Shilton's CL and CR models. The medium spool diameter strikes a perfect balance between high line capacity and a fast retrieve speed, and is therefore particularly interesting for fly fishermen who want to play it safe in terms of backing capacity in their fishing. From pike fishing to sea trout and up to light tropical fishing, the Shilton CK with its strong carbon brake is the right reel at your side.
- Shilton CR The CR is Shilton's most popular reel from their freshwater range and is adorned in a modern Large-Arbor design. This large spool diameter allows for fast retrieve speeds and provides less line memory, which especially excites Euro nymphing mono fans. However, the extremely lightweight design and strong carbon brake also finds favor in sea trout fishing. Lightweight, strong and a large spool diameter, the Shilton CR has a huge range of uses, from the finest nymphing tactics to the rough and challenging streamer fishing on our lakes, rivers and seas.
KISS – keep it simple & stupid!
True to the motto KISS - keep it simple & stupid. The Shilton braking systems of the SL and SR reels offer an open, controllable system that can be easily maintained and works extremely reliably. This is because the braking resistance is generated by the contact surface of a disc on the inside of the spool and the pressure is dosed via the handy brake knob. This is a very simple system that has proven itself many times over the years. The large cork discs of the saltwater models (SR and SL) also guarantee thanks to the nature of the natural material always an extremely smooth start-up of the braking resistor, so that even when fishing with thin leaders do not have to worry if the fish pulls off at full speed. The brake systems of the Freshwater series CL,CK and CR, on the other hand, consist of a completely encapsulated brake housing in which the braking resistance is generated by the friction between stainless steel on carbon discs. This combination also ensures enormous braking force, a silky smooth trigger and very fine adjustability. Minimum and maximum braking force can also be adjusted in a few simple steps and adapted precisely to your area of application.
More Features about the Shilton Fly Reels
Shiltons fly reels are not only powerful fly reels, but also super light! The reels are milled from the solid, which means as much as, from a block. In this case, high quality 6082 T6 aluminum. The CNC machining guarantees the accuracy that we as anglers demand from a reel, so that the reel always gives us a safe, stable feeling. And it doesn't matter if it's left hand or right hand, because Shilton fly reels can be easily converted from LHW to RHW. The lightweight ones have a very simple and foolproof design. Whether it's the open cork brake system of the Saltwater models or the carbon discs of the Freshwater series. All models are easy to take apart so the reels can even be cleaned in place. This simple handling of the construction is more than ingenious, because one thing is clear easier and faster no other role can be maintained! For the external protection of the fly reels provides a Type II anodizing, this provides maximum corrosion protection on the one hand and on the other hand, the coating provides the rich, great colors in which the models are available. The Shilton fly reels are an all-round carefree package, simple, reliable braking system, quick to maintain and protected against corrosion. And if something should still happen, Shilton still offers the limited lifetime warranty.
In short: Strong Brake - Rugged Construction - Shilton Reels. These high-end reels come from South Africa and are especially well known to passionate saltwater anglers. We were also allowed to test the Shilton fly reels at the tough GT fishing in the Seychelles and we can confirm to 101% that they more than live up to their first-class reputation around the globe! In addition to the SL and SR saltwater reels, which we've enjoyed fishing, there's also the Freshwater Series CL, CK, and CR from Shilton. With this selection, you can cover everything from tropical fishing to delicate stream fishing for trout and grayling and be sure to land your dream fish.